Neil was back from Beijing and tonight’s Cosmic Jazz featured new music from Italian trumpeter Enrico Rava, a bizarre collaboration between UK drummer Seb Rochford and theremin player Pamelia Kurstin, the lyricism of Keith Jarret’s new solo piano release and a truly inspiring 1963 broadcast from Stuttgart of John Coltrane’s classic quartet at their peak.
Listen and enjoy!
- Sebastian Rochford/Pamelia Kurstin – Slow
- Freddie Hubbard – Return of the Prodigal Son
- Enrico Rava Quintet – Choctaw
- Zara McFarlane – Feed the Spirit (The Children and the Warlock)
- Chico Hamilton – Conquistadores (The Conquerors)
- Milton Banana – Primitivo
- Paul Motian Band – Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
- Bobby Hutcherson – Spiral
- John Coltrane Quartet – Afro Blue
- Lloyd McNeil Quartet – 2504 Cliffborne Pl.
- Keith Jarrett – Rio pt. 5
- Tomasz Stanko – Song for Ania Kattornia
- Wadada Leo Smith – Don Cherry’s Electric Sonic Garden (for Don Cherry)
- Miles Davis – Blow
- Weather Report – River People (live)
We are sad to hear that Gilles Peterson will be leaving BBC R1 in April next year as a result of scheduling changes. We hope that his brand of musical discovery finds a new radio home and that Gilles continues to find the perfect beat.
Listen to the first ever GP Mad on Jazz show broadcast on 02 September 1986 on Radio London here and check out this videoclip: