It’s a love thing! This week’s Cosmic Jazz featured more new music from Wayne Shorter, four tracks with ‘love’ in each title, and two tracks from the new Black Jazz anthology from Gilles Peterson. We also play tribute to trumpeter Donald Byrd who died earlier this month. Dr Byrd was a jazz educator as well as leading Blue Note artist and accusations of ‘sell out’ in the 1970s were – in our view – certainly misplaced. So we’re featuring music from all stages of his lengthy career in jazz – enjoy!
We also featured a rarity from alto sax player Jackie McLean in duet with percussionist Michael Carvin. The lengthy De I Cohmalee Ah went down a storm at our most recent live set – see what you think via Listen Again. We know that one of our loyal listeners went and bought the CD immediately – it’s called Antiquity, and you can find it on the Steeplechase label. That’s CJ this week!
- Gene Russell – Black Orchid
- Henry Franklin – Beauty and the Electric Tub
- Grant Green – I Wish You Love
- Wayne Shorter – Flying Down to Rio
- Donald Byrd – Elijah
- Donald Byrd – Black Byrd
- Donald Byrd – Think Twice
- Donald Byrd – Onliest
- Jackie McLean and Michael Carvin – De I Comahlee Ah
- Charles Lloyd and Billy Higgins – Supreme Love Dance
- Bill Evans – Spartacus Love Theme
- Chet Baker – I Fall in Love Too Easily
- Charlie Hunter – Creole (feat. Mos Def)
Video this week had to come from Chalres Lloyd – in anticipation of his upcoming duo release with Jason Moran and a London concert later this year in April. Here he is with his stellar quartet and a beautiful reading of Brian Wilson’s Caroline No: