If there was a theme tonight we could take it from listener Simon’s text to the studio (text us on 07797 800712) about trumpeter Lee Morgan’s thick, chunky playing. Yes, this was a show with some hard-edged jazz – from Julian Priester’s blistering trombone solo on Force of Nature to the appropriately named Tough from Dave Douglas’s new CD Keystone.
But we also played the funky Nigerian vinyl instrumental version of Fela Kuti’s Suffering and Smiling and a great Masters at Work take on a retro classic – Atmosfear’s Dancing in Outer Space. The Japanese jazz tonight came from What’s Up? and quasimode (both tracks influenced by the sound of Blue Note) and we ended with an authentic Blue Note classic, John Coltrane’s Blue Train.
We must also pay homage to another great cutting edge Offworld show from Smoothgroove. On heavy rotation at the moment are the Motor City Drum Ensemble and the track You & I. Check out their Myspace pages and find out more.
Tom ended the show with Madnus & Scogil’s Carpet Vole (on limited promo only) and a nod to a great Carl Craig moment from the past – the Innerzone Orchestra’s Bug in the Bassbin. Tune into Offworld every week for more great music and check out the track we chose to reflect these new music stylings – Kiruna’s Black Widow. You can see the video below – one click and you’re in.
1. Kiruna – Black Widow
2. Terri Lyne Carrington – Jazz Is
3. Lee Morgan – Once in My Lifetime
4. Joe Zawinul – Scarlet Woman
5. Azar Lawrence – Force of Nature
6. Dave Douglas – Tough
7. Grant Green – Hurt so Bad
8. Scott Hill – Needs a Bridge
9. What’s Up? – Which One is True
10. McCoy Tyner – Sama Layuca
11. Fela Anikulapo Kuti – Suffering and Smiling (instumental)
12. Atmosfear – Dancing in Outer Space (Masters at Work remix)
13. N’Dambi – Soul from the Abyss
14. Tony Remy & Bluey – See No Evil
15. Eddie Cano – I Can’t Cry Anymore
16. Barrington Levy – Here I Come
17. quasimode – Percussion Revolver
18. John Coltrane – Blue Train
Our second Youtube video is from the king of dancehall, Barrington Levy – it’s not jazz but it is fun!